Parents and carers
If you are a parent or carer, lots of information on this website will be useful. To start with, it’s important to know the range of jobs available in NHSScotland. We’re the largest employer in Scotland so there are hundreds of opportunities available in a huge range of careers. It’s not just doctors and nurses!
You might find the following sections particularly useful:
- Apprenticeships – this section tells you all about Foundation and Modern Apprenticeships, and links to all current NHSScotland apprenticeship vacancies.
- Work placements – find out more about work placements, what to expect and how they can help young people gain a good understanding of a particular job or work area.
- NHSScotland values – it’s important that staff throughout the NHS in Scotland share these values.
Looking at our job profiles
Here’s a brief description of what’s in each job profile to help you find what you are looking for:
- The role – this is an introduction to the job, giving a description of the role and the tasks/activities involved. Depending on the job, some of the profiles
- Entry requirements – this section contains information about a specific course, entry requirements, colleges/universities, and further advice. Remember it’s always advisable to contact colleges and universities directly about specific entry requirements.
- Skills, interests, and abilities – this section will help you to work out which jobs are a ‘match’ for your child, by listing the skills and abilities which are most useful.
- Learning and development – we know that parents or carers and young people like to know how they can progress and be developed in a career. This section contains information about professional development and learning opportunities for staff.
- Modern Apprenticeships - jobs which have an associated Modern Apprenticeship include a section with information about the programme.
- Professional organisations - this section lists organisations and bodies associated with specific roles.
Information about qualifications
This really useful ’new for old’ diagram shows you the titles of current qualifications which might have had a different name in the past. It’s organised by SCQF levels. You can find out more about these at on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework website.