Hospital Pharmacists have the responsibility for overseeing the buying, dispensing, quality testing, delivery and use of medicines.
They also advise other healthcare professionals about safe use and supply of medicines. This ensures the medicines prescribed to patients are suitable and effective.
Pharmacists are responsible for:
- training and supervision of staff, such as Pharmacy Support Workers (sometimes known as Pharmacy Assistants or Dispensing Assistants) and Pharmacy Technicians in a hospital setting
- checking the quality of medicines supplied to patients
- ensuring that the supply and use of medicines is within the law
- providing advice to patients about medicines, how to take them, and what the possible side effects may be
- help patients to manage their long-term health conditions
- advising other healthcare professionals, including Doctors and Nurses, on the safe use of medicines