NHS Dental Nurse in Scotland
As a Dental Nurse, you would assist Dentists, Dental Therapists and Dental Technicians to provide a wide range of dental treatment to their patients. You may also help with reception work, greeting patients as they arrive, booking new appointments and taking payments for treatment.
Many patients you work with may feel anxious or nervous about their appointment. You would put the patient at ease and help them feel comfortable and relaxed during their visit.
Your main duties would include:
- preparing dental instruments and equipment ready for use
- preparing and mix a range of dental materials for fillings and impression taking
- sterilising instruments in between appointments, adhering to hygiene and infection control protocols and decontamination procedures
- providing support to Dentist, technicians and other Dental Care Professionals during examinations and procedures
- help with x-rays
- help patients with mouth rinsing
- updating patient records
You will also be responsible for ensuring high standards of cleanliness and control of infection within the practice or hospital setting.
With experience, you will use your dental knowledge to anticipate what is needed during treatment sessions. You could enhance your skills with additional training, enabling you to take x-rays and clinical photographs, take impressions and apply fluoride varnish to prevent tooth decay.