In NHSScotland, most Radiography Support Workers are based in hospitals, providing services for other departments, including accident and emergency, outpatients, operating theatres and on wards. They are sometimes known as Imaging Support Workers.
As a Radiography Support Worker, your main duties would include:
- assisting and reassuring patients
- processing digital images
- helping the radiographer with procedures, such as biopsies
- making sure the working environment is clean and hygienic
- preparing patients for treatment, including lifting patients and transporting them between other wards and departments
- helping to maintain equipment and reporting faults
- updating patient records and booking appointments
Within a hospital setting, you may also work with medical physicists, engineers, doctors, nurses and other health professionals.